Saturday, April 9, 2011


Skiing is one of those things that I have always said I wanted to learn how to do, but I never entirely meant it. In January of this year Ellie and Maya took lessons and absolutely loved it. In March my friend Carrie called and asked me if I wanted to take lessons with her and her two daughters, Kylie and Paige. I was hesitant, but at the persistence of Ryan and the girls I finally decided to take the plunge. The first day was miserable to say the least. My brother Tim showed up and attempted to teach me after my lesson. I spent more time falling than skiing. I dreaded going back the next week, but I was determined to not fall anymore. (way too painful) I did, however fall out of the lift (don't laugh) and re-injured my shoulder that I hurt falling off the treadmill. (I guess I should stay off moving equipment!) The third week the snow was hard and icy. For the most part I was scared to death, but the last couple of runs were amazing. During the week my arm started to really bother me from my falls, and my physical therapist was worried that if I fell again I would be in a world of hurt. One problem: it had been snowing all week and it was supposed to be amazing on the slopes; so I went. I had the best time skiing with the kids. I could finally keep up with them. However, they are fearless and go off of jumps and in between trees among other things that I probably won't dare try for years to come. They would get a little frustrated with me, but I would explain to them that my body doesn't bounce back quite as easily as theirs if I were to fall! I learned a great lesson from this experience: I should not be afraid to try new things, even if I don't have faith in myself others do. I also learned that I may get hurt but that doesn't me I shouldn't stop trying. Brooke, a friend of mine who also encouraged me to learn to ski emphasized me what a great family activity it is. She was right! What a special time I had with my sweet little daughters. I was impressed with their abilities and confidence. It was fun for them to be my mentor.

No comments:

Post a Comment